Skip to main content

World Nutella Day: A Celebration of Chocolate, Warmth, Spice & Friendship

In honor of the 5th Anniversary of World Nutella Day, as declared by Michele Fabio of Bleeding Espresso and Sarah Rosso of Ms. Adventures in Italy, I hereby offer my sweet, spicy, warm and sinful
Montezuma-inspired Nutella Gooey Cupcakes.


Now I explain in excruciating detail.

The story:

Montezuma is a drink made with chocolate fondente, rum, peperoncino, and cannella (cinnamon) that warmed many a cold evening with friends last winter at a little place in Florence, Italy called Hemingway.

Behold ... the Montezuma.

My girlfriend came to Florence also last winter while I was in the midst of a torrid affair with Nutella normally a 3-way involving an unsuspecting spoon - somewhere around jar #5 (of the 11 I decimated during my first 10 months there).  We both shared a love for Nutella and after I introduced her to another crack habit the Montezuma it was all over.  I get occasional e-mails on the Montezuma craving, but alas, it's an itch that's hard to really scratch.

Well, thanks to the creamy goodness that is Nutella I found a vehicle with which to bring together these flavors, textures, and taste sensations we crave during these cold winter months.  Not to mention, Nutella doesn't appreciate the cold here in Colorado, so one of these stunts or a "take your Nutella jar skiing" day was out of the question.

My wicked chocolate cupcakes (normally made with dark chocolate stout beer) have been adapted with a gooey Nutella filling and a little rum. There is a slight detectable heat from peperoncino, spice from the cinnamon, and a delicate warmth from the rum in the cake and the icing.

Itch = scratched. 

Another legendary slumber party...

After 40 years of friendship, crayons, dolls, boys (and their "cooties"), Girl Scout badges, episodes of Brady Bunch & Partridge Family, slumber parties, school bus gossip, High School football games, pizza, college, husbands, kids, and careers the least I could do for my friend, a fellow Nutella junkie who flew all the way to Italy last winter for  the mother of all slumber parties that involved a couple bottles of wine a 25-year reunion, was make a freaking cupcake to quell her Montezuma craving!

Let's do this thing.





 Here comes the recipe:

Batter:
1st the "dry stuff"
1 3/4  cups flour
2 cups of sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli dark, unsweetened)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ tsp cinnamon

Now the "wet stuff"
2 eggs
1 cup milk (I used vanilla soy)
½ cup vegetable oil (I used Smart Balance Omega)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp Captain Morgan Spiced Rum

1 cup boiling water (add last)

Combine all the "dry stuff" in a large mixer bowl. Add the "wet stuff" in order listed and beat on medium for 2-3 minutes. Add the boiling water last for a thin batter.

(*High altitude note:  recipe I tested at 6000 feet increases flour by ¼ cup, decreases leavening by ¼ tsp, decreases sugar by ¼ cup, & uses extra large eggs)


For the Montezuma Nutella filling mix together:
2/3 cup Nutella
½ teaspoon peperoncino (crushed red pepper)
½ teaspoon cinnamon

Pour the batter into a cupcake liners (I like the double lined ones with paper inside and foil outside).

For each cupcake, drop a scant teaspoon of the Nutella filling into the center.



Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. You’ll see the Nutella centers disappear into the cakes and the tops will spring back when touched.


Now the icing:

½ cup unsalted butter, melted
3 ¼ cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of rum
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/3 cup milk
¼ teaspoon cinnamon

Mix the cocoa into the melted butter, add ¼ cup of the powdered sugar, the rum, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Alternate the milk and the rest of the powdered sugar until you reach the desired consistency. 

I cannot confirm or deny whether frosting was sucked out of any pastry bags during the making of these cupcakes.

These are best served warm while the Nutella is gooey - and with friends.  Happy World Nutella day!


Wishing you all peace, love, and the warmth of friendship!

Comments

  1. Oh my word, those look delicious!
    I'll have to pass the recipe on to my Hubs, he's the baker in the house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! I am going to make these & I am SURE they will be a HIT with all my neighbors! Of course I will have to use some local ingredients but I KNOW they will ROCK! Grazie Mille!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God! These look perfectly yummy. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely spread! Thanks so much for all your hard work for World Nutella Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Robyn - I hope you enjoy them - let me know how they come out. My neighbors "guinea pig" tested them for me and were able to pick up all the elements. My friend wasn't getting the heat in the first few bites - I suspect the chili didn't get evenly distributed.

    @Maria - You may be at a local ingredient advantage because I'm betting if you use GROUND peperoncino picante & peperoncino dolce that Michelle Fabio uses in her spice cake? It will be a better effect. Don't think I can get those things here, but I will look. I'm an ingredient moron sometimes.

    @Michele - they really were good - my favorite part was licking the bowls, beaters, spatulas, and yes, I confess to sucking the remaining icing out of the pastry bag after I gave up trying to be all "fancy" with them.

    @Michelle - Still thinking about your spice cake - and you and Sara did all the work! Hope it was as awesome as you wanted it to be and can't wait to see the round up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll confess, I'm a recipe junkie. Hardly succesful, but always trying. Can't wait to try these, perfect timing... I just went to the international market here and got a large jar of it.

    I wonder how it would be substituting a nut or chocolate liqueur instead of the rum??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning! Hey - just leave the rum out. No need to substitute anything. When the Nutella Day Roundup comes out? It will be Nutella recipe mecca, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Georgia Brown that looks like some serious gooey deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, Sara - You know it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nightgowns and Nutella...yesterday and today. All adds up to a big <3 Can't wait to bake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew you'd love this! It's like a big, chocolaty, gooey, boozy, spicy valentine from my kitchen to yours. Big big hugs! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val, you're killing me with these! You know me, I'm not a choco-holic, but my hubby is, and they were his Valentine's treat! :0) They were wonderful! Although, note for future, the kiddos didn't care for the peppers, so guess I'll have to leave that part out. They sure slept well though! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my - you made them! I'm so glad you liked them!!! (one more !) Thank you for letting me know how they came out and for making them part of your celebration of lurve. Ah, didn't think kiddos would dig the pepperoncino, but looks like a little rum-infused treat was just the ticket for a quiet evening for mom & dad. Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Found my recipe duplicated here today: http://dailycupcakerecipe.tumblr.com/post/4867635491/0035-montezuma-nutella-cupcakes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All entries are strictly observations from my point of view. This blog is not intended as professional commentary on travel, wine, food, or any other subjects I discuss - it is for entertainment, an online journal, for my friends, family, and anyone interested in my stories or journey in general.

Therefore, I reserve the right to delete comments for any reason, including those that are malevolent or inflammatory toward myself or other commenters.

That said, thank you for reading, and sharing what motivates you.

Popular posts from this blog

Sicilian Seduction Part 5: Marito mio, il Peugeot, ed io (My husband, the Peugeot, and me)

10 October 2019, Balestrate, Sicily, Italy “You could stay at my mom’s house in Sicily. It's by the sea,” my friend said. He went on to talk about the convenient location to historic sites, the beach, the food, and the walk-ability of his ancestral village. The more he talked the more animated he got, and the look on his face about had me convinced it was worth considering - particularly when he spoke of Erice, only a short 30 minute drive from Balestrate. It was a wistfulness with which those of us who love a place this much are intimately familiar. View this post on Instagram #Erice #Sicilia A post shared by Val (@vinowithval) on Oct 8, 2019 at 1:43am PDT The lunch conversation on that windy June day with my two friends turned to all things Italian after I mentioned my charming hubby and I were trying to figure out our fall vacation plans. He had already had scheduled nearly three weeks off, and Italy w...

Will Work for Peeps - Easter Love from Across the Chunnel!

Lo Scoppio del Carro My 2nd Easter in Italy.  Last year I was in Piazza del Duomo trying to see the Scoppio del Carro (explosion of the cart).  I appreciate the tradition but not the crowds - once was enough. This year I'll celebrate quietly on my side of the river.  I hit the markets early yesterday with a strange craving to bite ears off chocolate bunnies but quickly squelched that by succeeding in finding only milk chocolate bunnies.  I settled for a 1/2 kilo of cheese & a bottle of Barbera d'Alba instead and high-tailed home.  Where I'm not leaving today.  So whilst I'm clogging my arteries with Montasio and getting knackered let's see what surprise the Easter Bunny left for you all.   This funny lady has come all the way from Staffordshire, England and was sitting outside with a "Will Work for Peeps" sign has taken time out from editing her book to engage in some non-traditional Easter mischief with me.  In addition to bein...

Where Heaven and Corkscrews Meet

How in the world can it be 29 July 2011 already?  Was it really two years ago today Living Out of the Box was spewed forth into the blogosphere? Were the last two summers really spent prepping for fall and winter adventures in Italy and France? Huh. So how to celebrate this blog-o-versary ... ideas?  Anyone? I'm still in the throes of reflecting fondly on the last week with my two favorite wine-drinking buddies whom I also had not seen in these last two years.  They came from the East (coast) bearing gifts of the bottled variety. I had saved a gifted bottle of 2005 Il Carbonaione for the moment we would all be together again, as D is the true Sangiovese lover of the group.  They were also my first stateside friends to open a bottle of a first release Chianti Classico by that same winemaker, Juri Fiore - a wine made from grapes I'd actually picked during the 2009 Vendemmia (harvest).  You can read about that interesting time in the vineyards here. ...