OK, so this isn't a unicorn. But if you look hard enough it could be. These horses wander through Parco Nazionale d'Abruzzo in Italy (remember - the land of my people). They were ever present along side of my hike here two years ago. It was a day of sun, snow, rain, and warmth all taking their turn at leaving their mark on the day.
Today, in Colorado, the snow and sun are battling for supremacy, but I'm just recoiling further back into my sofa from all the life happening around me. Please - go on without me, as I need to sit this weekend out. The phone rings again. More bad news. I pull up my dealing panties, take another sip of
I dragged out the laptop, burrowed further under a plush blanket, and began tapping through photos - unposted adventures - from a time where I really had nothing better to do than roam the planet, put things in my mouth, and not think too hard about what's next; hence, this blog. Building a strong business in just under two years, meeting the man of my dreams, and moving into a lovely home together has been just that - a dream. I keep checking the garden to make sure there are not, indeed, unicorns out there digging up last season's carrots. Nope, just fat rabbits huddled under the Jurasic-sized sage bush. Eating. Eating for forty-five freaking minutes as if they are at an all-you-can-eat salad bar trying to get their money's worth.
Yet, the fleas come with the
Then there's the world of networking which entrepreneurs must navigate to get their business - and themselves - known. It's S&M. More M, actually. I've met some amazing people, had great fun, learned a lot about my community, resources, people, business, and even how to be a better version of my business self. I've made friends. As long as there's someone interesting to connect with or something to learn, it's a good investment of my time. The M part comes from dealing with the glassy-eyed yip dogs, many of them in direct sales, who all want you to be their customer. As one of my cohorts put it - it's like shaking a Chihuahua off your pant leg. I swear I'm going to make a "Networking Bingo" sheet for my friends:
__Dude giving a 60-second commercial with blue tooth stuck to head, indicating everyone outside the room is more important than anyone inside the room. I tune these people out instantly.
__Nutrition "expert" chasing you down and shoving latest pamphlet into your hand (which you toss when no one's looking).
__Woman who does not understand the concept of 60-second commercial and keeps talking about product for an entire mini-series.
__"One-timers" who come to your group once, snag everyone's cards, and add you to their e-mail lists ... without ever asking.
__Business card shovers - the ones who shove their cards at you before you even have made proper introductions.
__One-on-one bad dates. You meet someone for coffee only to spend the next 45 minutes hearing about their business and why you need them in your life, yet they know nothing about you or why you really don't need them in your life.
__Sweatpants. And really?
It's funny, but it's exhausting. We all see how my creativity for writing has been virtually sucked out of me from tip-toeing through an over-sold mine-field. I look for power partners I can get to know, like, and trust. Sometimes it's like looking for unicorns in Parco d'Abruzzo Nazionale.
Last night I briefly stared across my living room remembering those too-good-to-be true days of travel and blogging, and I was close to tears. I could just disappear at will, and all that creative energy had nowhere else to go but on the next train to Pistoia, Carcassonne, and reemerge in this here blogosphere. It's a form of networking, also, but no one's selling - everyone's just offering - and you are my power partners. It's still warming to reach back to the lessons I learned while emerging from "the box" as I continue to navigate other boxes and cut my way loose. It was transformation then, and it's transformation now - and it's a welcome journey.
When my beloved came down the stairs to curl up on the sofa with me and engage in
I remember when I found your blog a while back, when you where coming out of your box, you sure have been busy lately, but it sounds great Btw, my 'cognato' is from Abruzzo, small world uh?
ReplyDeleteSuch a small world! I'm starting to think the world is one box after another you keep getting shoved into and need to punch, kick, and knife your way out of. Ciao!
DeleteHey, the day/days you have had sound close to what I have had.... when it rains it pours! At least u have someone who will give ya a hug...so, its unicorns? I'd settle for Kalei to speak English vs/Catese. Better yet, if she could open a bottle of wine (like my hubby taught my oldest to do when she was little) and serve me a glass it would = your unicorn!.
ReplyDeleteMaybe sometimes we need to make our own unicorns too. Dang, but you are right - lives falling apart all around us and sometimes I just want to ride off on a freaking unicorn and hide in a tiny village somewhere in the mountains of Italy and shut down. Hugs to you and sweet Kalei!
DeleteWe probably have unicorns somewhere in The LPV. That wouldn't be the least bit surprising, would it? x
ReplyDeleteNot at all, dear! BTW - Am on Pinterest now and repinned your wine bar picture - you have to know how much I love that and hope to drink with you at your wine bar un jour! xo
Delete