Skip to main content

Solo in Italiano

Just two days ago I finally sat and wrote, wringing out part of a short story that's been closed up in a travel journal. Today I saw the #MWWC26 prompt hosted by The Drunken Cyclist and thought it serendipitous that this was what I've been wanting to write for five years. The best experiences can - and sometimes need to - rise from solitude. *All names have been changed except for my own, of course.*

Five minutes before the event was due to start the dining room was empty, outside a banquet captain and the host. The banquet captain approached, and in my third-grade level Italian I told him my name. He showed me to my table. “Where is everyone?” I asked, doing everything I could to blend in. I wore black (in Spring) because that’s what they do. I was nearly late, that’s what they do (although apparently not late enough). This was slight progress from the year before when my Italian wine teacher had actually given me an assignment to be late for class, as my freshly retired military rigidity drove the Italians crazy. “They are late, Antonio is angry. Eccola.” He’d found my table. On it was a card reading “Caruso, 1 PAX” with a single place setting and six wine glasses. After ensuring him I would have absolutely no problem sitting da sola (alone) conversing with myself, and that everyone in the room would think I’m crazy, I asked if it would be possible to join a table where, perhaps, there would be wine conversation. After all, I also ensured him, I spoke better wine than Italian.

He guided me to the host now raging mad because no one had yet arrived. “Ah, yes, your table is here, next to mine!” Another sad little table, set for “Caruso, 1 PAX,” elicited another audible sigh and another expressed desire for wine conversation. The winemaker entered the room just as it was arranged to seat me at his table. Introductions were made and the evening was looking up.

Let me clarify why Val had two tables. When I first called to make the reservations I did so solo in italiano (only in Italian) and never received confirmation for the dinner or hotel room. So I called again to confirm my reservation, probably making another one. And there you go. I wish I’d taken photos of the only two tables set for one, both with my name on them, in a sea of eight-tops. Meanwhile, 70 or so Italians started rolling in nearly 30 minutes late (seriously, I’ve got to master getting late to things if I'm going to blend). For giggles I watched as some stopped and looked at the first tiny table. The other Caruso one-top was cleared once it was determined I was moving on up to the big table to sit with the grownups.

Three of us sat at the table that held all the power: the bottles for presentation, the winemaker, the host/magazine editor, and the microphone. We conversed (remember, I speak fluent vino) about grapes, wines, land, and lovely food. The winemaker would talk about each wine as it was poured. The host would then stand and guide us through each tasting and dish as the food was served. This happened with a brief intermission before the two dessert wines and accompanying courses. As people milled around during the break, I sat alone taking pictures of bottles and glasses - typical eye-rolling blogger behavior. It also was a chance to relax. If you’ve tried to function - and truly listen - in another language it can enrich and suck you dry at the same time. A gentleman from another table kept approaching me and asking questions about the wine in Italian, normally about the alcohol. Bene (good). I can read a bottle and regurgitate the numbers. Ask me something else!

Just me and the stems around 1 a.m.
Whoa, I didn’t stand out as the clumsy American with a clumsier tongue? The more wine I sipped, the smoother the words flowed (in my mind). The event ended at one o’clock in the morning ... with espresso! I couldn’t eat another bite, take another sip, or spew forth anymore factoids for the table betting on how much alcohol was in each wine. I thanked my gracious host and the winemaker, and wished a buona serrata to the gentleman who interrupted my pity party on the patio earlier by asking if I was a
“weatherperson.”

Solitude on the patio
It was an odd question but I had been lost in efforts to nurse a migraine earlier that afternoon with a doppio espresso and, simultaneously, my ambivalence regarding a brief love affair with a bamboccione (dude still living with mama) I knew would never work. Alone on the patio as the late April Umbrian sun was just shoving its way from the clouds, I splattered my heart, sanity, and cuss words all over the pages of a worn journal in two languages. My lips sprouted a small smile as the espresso took effect, and earlier regrets of how I should have stayed in bed (a story for another day) subsided. I alternated between sipping, writing, wallowing, and basking. “This is how I do life now. It’s not always pretty but it’s beautiful nonetheless.” He must have seen me look up at the sky way too many times for confirmation, comfort, or some combination thereof. "Sei una meteologa?" I felt obliged to give him the weather report anyway, which I had diligently researched back in my San Frediano apartment in order to adequately pack my black. Then I outed myself as just a crazy American woman who studied wine, here on vacation. "No. Sono un'Americana pazza in vacanza. Studio il vino."

The next day at another small table in the corner of the hotel’s breakfast room, I prepared to bury my face in the local newspaper, cappuccino, and pastry. This is a beloved, indulgent ritual that represented more pleasure than solitude, and to which I believe I'm blissfully entitled when traveling da sola. The winemaker asked if he could join me, and we talked more about wine and his crazy day ahead. My crazy day involved two-hour train trip back to Florence, but without the shameless wallowing, with zero regrets, and a little more reflection for the woman who apparently now crashes Italian wine dinners as the only American in the room, asks for what she wants, and sometimes gets it … twofold.
Snapped as I waited for my train in Perugia the next day. I felt like that flower, living where & how I chose.

Back in Florence I emerged from the station and navigated streets I knew so well. I also knew where to go to bask in the solo - yet not so lonely - experience I’d have totally missed out on had any friends been able to join me. Still toting my overnight bag I popped in to Maria's place to sit at my usual table and enjoy (more) wine, some lunch, and lighthearted chatter with the owner who indulged my need to speak solo in italiano.


wine-stain1-3 
So what now? Now, you can go over to visit The Drunken Cyclist, a funny guy I first heard on the We Like Drinking podcast - and read the other entries and vote. I won't tell you my favorite entry (it's not mine), but there is some seriously good stuff posted! It's exciting because after not being 'bloggy' for so long it felt good to be back at it. I hope you'll check it out! 

Peace, love, & wine scribble ~ 

Comments

  1. This reminds me of my eldest.. she lived in Siena for a year-- (college)... she traveled solo in Italy... and yes a lot of adventures... would u believe UCSD's college (counter part) was down the street where prostitutes frequented? only in Europe, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd believe it, but not only in Europe. Actually, isn't DC the same way? I remember (back in the early '80s) a hooker hangout around 14th Street several blocks from our Capitol and the White House. I'm sure LA/Hollywood has its areas where the vibe is the same, as do other cities. Now, the problem with delightful Italian cities you have these people who come in and, no shit, interrupt your dinner to try to sell you plastic junk, beg, etc. No more outdoor cafe (or even indoor!) dining without the seedy solicitations, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the reminiscing, and love the symbolism and pic of the flower by the train tracks.
    Can't wait to hear about your PNW trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Can't wait to squeeze out the rest of this story. Have only vaguely started planning the other trip later this summer, but will be great to see some more places I've yet to visit. Cheers ~

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy to be reading your blog again,Val.You've always had the ability to make me chuckle. And a bonus this time is learning the new to me word,bamboccione. Can't wait to work that one into a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee - mammone is another one. I'm glad you're still here, Michele. I miss your recipes too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All entries are strictly observations from my point of view. This blog is not intended as professional commentary on travel, wine, food, or any other subjects I discuss - it is for entertainment, an online journal, for my friends, family, and anyone interested in my stories or journey in general.

Therefore, I reserve the right to delete comments for any reason, including those that are malevolent or inflammatory toward myself or other commenters.

That said, thank you for reading, and sharing what motivates you.

Popular posts from this blog

Waterfalling in Love Friday

Happiest of Fridays my fly, funky, fresh-in-the-flesh blogging peeps. Java's hosting and we're playing. What a nice venue to share a little love poem.  I know, Little Ms. Cyincal-life-is-too-fabulous-to-be-bothered-with-man drama is going to write about love. Hey, people - I'm not made of wood you know.  It happens. Sometimes I get bit in the ass when I'm perfectly happy celebrating being unattached like it's my job fall in love. You happy? Strap in peeps, because it's a steamy one. Here we go.   Eh hem... Waterfalling in Love by that crazy broad at Living out of the Box Valerie Sometimes a drizzle Always the need to let your sweetness rain down on me. Sometimes a deluge Always thoughts of diving into a pool of you. Falling like the water from above The rush of you over me underneath you The promise of your scent still on my fingers, the feel of you sticky on my lips, the taste of you on my tongue… Desire draws me dow...

Where Heaven and Corkscrews Meet

How in the world can it be 29 July 2011 already?  Was it really two years ago today Living Out of the Box was spewed forth into the blogosphere? Were the last two summers really spent prepping for fall and winter adventures in Italy and France? Huh. So how to celebrate this blog-o-versary ... ideas?  Anyone? I'm still in the throes of reflecting fondly on the last week with my two favorite wine-drinking buddies whom I also had not seen in these last two years.  They came from the East (coast) bearing gifts of the bottled variety. I had saved a gifted bottle of 2005 Il Carbonaione for the moment we would all be together again, as D is the true Sangiovese lover of the group.  They were also my first stateside friends to open a bottle of a first release Chianti Classico by that same winemaker, Juri Fiore - a wine made from grapes I'd actually picked during the 2009 Vendemmia (harvest).  You can read about that interesting time in the vineyards here. ...

Will Work for Peeps - Easter Love from Across the Chunnel!

Lo Scoppio del Carro My 2nd Easter in Italy.  Last year I was in Piazza del Duomo trying to see the Scoppio del Carro (explosion of the cart).  I appreciate the tradition but not the crowds - once was enough. This year I'll celebrate quietly on my side of the river.  I hit the markets early yesterday with a strange craving to bite ears off chocolate bunnies but quickly squelched that by succeeding in finding only milk chocolate bunnies.  I settled for a 1/2 kilo of cheese & a bottle of Barbera d'Alba instead and high-tailed home.  Where I'm not leaving today.  So whilst I'm clogging my arteries with Montasio and getting knackered let's see what surprise the Easter Bunny left for you all.   This funny lady has come all the way from Staffordshire, England and was sitting outside with a "Will Work for Peeps" sign has taken time out from editing her book to engage in some non-traditional Easter mischief with me.  In addition to bein...